Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Our Week - The One with Teacher Appreciation Week and a Triple Date Night

Last week was busy, but good, and today I’m recapping it all!

Monday, May 1

Monday morning, B and I slept until almost 9 because we’d gone to bed so late Sunday night after the Taylor Swift concert.  My parents had gotten the kids to school for us, so we didn’t have to be up early, thank goodness!  We’ve gotten home from many a concert at 2 AM and still had to get up at 6 AM the next day, and I was so grateful we didn’t have to do that this time! 

We had breakfast together, got ready for the day, and then I got started on my to-do list for the day while B headed off to work.

At 3, I grabbed the kiddos from school, and they asked me a million questions about the concert.  I got Olivia off to dance with the promise that we’d show her all the videos later in the evening, and then Jacob and I went to piano lessons. 

After that, it was back home to cook dinner – sausage, peppers, and onions tacos – and then after that, I headed outside for a three-mile run.  The weather was perfection Monday, and it was just the best day for a run. 

When I got home, the kiddos were showered and ready for bed, so we all sat down together and watched our videos from the concert.  Olivia was just gushing the entire time while Jacob was a little bored (LOL), and Olivia informed us that one day she wants to be as famous as Taylor Swift.  <insert cringey face here>  Haha.

After they got in the bed, B and I watched some of American Idol, and then we called it a night.

Tuesday, May 2

Tuesday morning after I dropped the kids at school, I hung around for an hour or so to help out with Teacher Appreciation.  Teacher Appreciation Week was last week at our school, and our TAW chair person planned a fun week with the theme “You Raise the Bar.”  Tuesday, was a sweets bar, so we set out cookies and candy and various other treats that they could snack on throughout the day.

After that, I headed home to catch up on all the things – blog work, laundry, tidying, etc. – and then I headed back to the school at 3 to grab the kiddos.

We came home and had snacks and did homework, and then we headed back out to get Olivia to dance.  I had to swing by the office to pick up Olivia’s recital tights, and then Jacob and I went back home.

Jacob came down with Olivia’s cold on Monday morning, so he was lazy and played on his computer after his homework was done.  While he did that, I got in a stair stepper and arms workout and then I cooked dinner – turkey and cheese biscuit sliders and fruit. 

When Brian and Olivia came home, we all ate dinner together, and then Olivia tried on her last recital costume that had come home Tuesday evening.

They showered and got ready for bed after that, and I braided Olivia’s hair while we watched an episode of Weird But True before they got in the bed.

B and I watched some more of American Idol after that, and then we headed to bed, too.

Wednesday, May 3

Wednesday morning, I dropped the kids at school and then I headed to run a few errands – UPS, Publix, gas station, Barnes and Noble – and then I went back to the school to help set up for day three of Teacher Appreciation Week.

The theme for Wednesday was an ice cream sundae bar, so we set up aaaallll the toppings – waffle cones, waffle bowls, M&Ms, Skittles, Oreos, brownie bites, Reese’s Pieces, whipped cream, cherries – and then the ice cream was set out later in the day.

Once everything was set up, I headed home to work on blog stuff and before I knew it, it was time to go back to the school to pick up the kiddos.

When we got home, the kids did their homework while I wrapped up a few things on my to-do list, and then I cooked dinner.  We had beef and parmesan pasta with zucchini and rolls for dinner… one of Jacob’s favorite meals that I cook. 

After dinner, the four of us all went for a family walk to the neighborhood playground, and we hung out there for a bit.  The weather was just amazing again, so it was nice to get out and enjoy it for a while. 

Once it was time to leave the playground, B took the kids home, and I went for a 2.41-mile run. 

When I got home, we watched an episode of Weird But True, and then after the kids went to bed, B and I watched American Idol… never-ending American Idol.  Lol.

Thursday, May 4

Thursday morning, I dropped the kids at school, and then I headed to the teacher’s lounge to get started on setting up for day four of Teacher Appreciation Week.  The theme for Thursday was a dessert bar, and oh my word, did we end up having a ton of goodies – pies and cookies and cheesecakes and macarons and every kind of cake you can imagine. 

It took us a couple of hours to get it all arranged, and then we hung around and chatted with a couple of the teachers who were hanging out in the teacher’s lounge.  We also sampled some of the macarons and they were soooo delicious.

I’ve mentioned many times here on the blog that I graduated from the same school that my kids now attend, and it’ll never not be weird being in the teacher’s lounge at the high school.  Haha.  One minute you’re in high school and the teacher’s lounge is strictly off-limits, and the next minute, you’re a grown-up hanging out in the teacher’s lounge with one of your old teachers and eating macarons.  Life is wild.

The rest of the day was spent getting stuff done at home, and then, I picked up my Momma so we could go donate blood together.  Everything went smoothly there, and then after I dropped her back at home, I headed to pick up the kids from school.

Olivia’s voice lesson was canceled unexpectedly, so we had another free evening.  I got some more stuff done around the house, and I got Olivia's class teacher gifts wrapped, and then we made breakfast for dinner when Brian got home from work.  The kids requested to eat dinner outside, and I wasn’t about to say no to that because it was just gorgeous outside.  Last week’s weather was seriously a dream!

After dinner, Brian and the kids ran around in the back yard having some Nerf blaster wars, and I sat in my chair and read.  I’m always completely sapped of energy after I donate blood, and you’re not allowed to do anything strenuous for about 24 hours afterward, so rest was on the agenda for the rest of the night.

The kids didn’t want to go inside, so we let them stay outside a bit longer than usual, and then after that, they showered and got into bed.  B and I watched the series finale of A Million Little Things after they went to bed, and I cried my eyes out through the whole thing.  Oh man, it was rough, but so so good.

Friday, May 5

Friday morning, I dropped the kids at school, and then I headed home for a bit to squeeze in some work before I had to be back at the school to help out with the last day of Teacher Appreciation Week.

We did a Nacho bar for the last day since it was also Cinco de Mayo, and they also got to pick up their Teacher Appreciation gifts from Home and School Association – 30 oz. tumblers with the school logo on them.  We also ordered 150 mini Crumbl Cookies for them to have for dessert.

We were lacking a few things that we needed, so I swung by Publix on the way there to grab more shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and shredded cheese, and then I arrived at the school a little after 9:30. 

I dropped Olivia’s teachers’ gifts from the class in the school office, and then I headed to the high school teacher’s lounge where a couple of the other girls were already there setting up.  Once I arrived, I got busy putting up the groceries and putting some of the non-perishable items out, and two of the other girls left to go pick up the meat, chips, cheese dip, and guac from our favorite local Mexican restaurant right down the street from the school.

By the time they got back, we had just enough time to get it all out before the teachers started coming to eat at 11 AM.  For the next couple of hours, I helped hand out gifts and drinks and replenish anything that ran out, and before we knew it, it was 1 PM and it was time to start cleaning up.  But first, I made myself a tray and ate a bit because I was starving.

We had the whole place cleaned up within 30 minutes, and there were quite a few Crumbl Cookies leftover, so I grabbed a couple to take home.  Then, we headed to the office to put up all of the serving trays, and then I walked down to the lower school office to return their rolling cart and my school key. 

Olivia’s class happened to be on the playground when I was done, so I walked over there to say hi to her before heading to the car.  I had a few minutes before I had to be in the car line, so I drove to the library to return some books, and then I got back in the car line. 

I had downloaded the new Ed Sheeran album that morning, so I listened to that while I waited, and I enjoyed my maple oatmeal Crumbl Cookie while I cried at the lyrics to the album.  Lol.  Oh, my goodness his new album is so sad.  So incredible, but so sad.

After the kiddos were picked up, we headed straight home to chill for the rest of the night.  I got a few more things done around the house, and then when Brian finished up with work, he picked up pizza for dinner and we ate at home.  We usually do something for Cinco de Mayo, but since it fell on a Friday, we knew all of the Mexican restaurants would be packed (they would have been any day of the week, I suppose), so we didn’t attempt to go or even pick up takeout from one. 

Instead, we enjoyed our pizza and beers, and then after the kids were ready for bed, we watched Back to the Future 2 and I had a lovely couch nap because I don’t like those movies and I was also exhausted.  Haha.

After that, B and I got the kids in bed, and then we started watching Ed Sheeran’s new documentary on Disney+.  We ended up getting through three episodes before heading to bed.  If you love Ed Sheeran, you will love this documentary.  I was riveted the entire time.  He has always been so private, and this really gives an inside look on his life.  His wife is in it, too, and she’s always been extremely private.  I don’t think I’ve ever even seen much of her other than a couple of shots that Ed has shared over the years, but you usually can’t really see much of her in the shots.

Saturday, May 6

Saturday morning, we got up and made homemade waffles for breakfast, and then I enjoyed some hot tea and read for a bit before I started some laundry and got in my cardio workout.  By the time I was done with that, it was time to eat lunch, and then Olivia and I headed to a pool party at her friend’s house for her birthday.

The weather was beautiful Saturday, but the pool was freezing.  The girls didn’t seem to mind too much, though, and they had a blast playing and running around while all of the parents hung out and chatted.

The party wrapped up around 3, and Olivia and I headed straight home.  When I got home, I lay out in the sun for a bit with my book, and then it was time to get ready for the evening.

We had a triple date with my Aunt Joy and Uncle Greg and my parents.  My uncle works with a guy who is in a local band, and they were playing at one of the bars downtown Saturday night, so he had invited us to join them.  We had dinner in the restaurant below the bar first, and I had the best filet with mashed potatoes and green beans, and then we headed upstairs for the show at 9.

The band mostly played country music (some old, a lot of 90’s, and some new), and they also threw in a couple of other non-country songs like Brown Eyed Girl and Sweet Caroline.  They were really good, and we had a lot of fun.  There were lots of people in there dancing, and there was this one older gentleman who was having the time of his life dancing with all of the ladies.  He was the absolute cutest!

The band took a break around 11, and one of the band members told us that they would come back out and play until 12:30 or 1, but we ended up only staying for a few more songs and then leaving a little bit before midnight to head home. 

My MIL and step-FIL had the kids Saturday night, so B and I were able to go straight home and go to bed.


Sunday, May 7

Sunday morning, B and I got up and had breakfast, and then he headed off to get the kids from his mom’s house while I ran to Publix to grab a few things for Sunday dinner. 

When I got home from Publix, I got the groceries put away, and then I enjoyed a cup of tea and read for a bit.  Halfway through, B got home with the kiddos, and they came and gave me big hugs and told me about their time at Nana and Poppie’s. 

After that, I got in a yoga workout, and then it was time to eat lunch.  After lunch, I made a Hershey Pie for dessert and then I lay outside in the sun and finished my book while B headed off to a tennis match.  The kids played outside the whole time I was out there, and then we all went in mid-afternoon to get showered and ready for the day.

After my shower, I spent an hour in my office getting some things done, and the kids played video games for a bit.  I also turned on The Wedding Planner while I worked because it’s just one of my favorite movies ever.

I headed downstairs around 4:30 to start getting the house ready since we were hosting Sunday dinner, and then my Momma arrived a little before 5 to help me cook.  She made her rice that everyone loves so much, and I made some roasted veggies.

When B got home from his tennis match, he got the grill fired up, and then he and my Mom grilled the chicken that my Mom had been marinating since the night before. 

My Dad arrived with Mama Cass shortly after that, and then my littlest brother and his roommate + my uncle all trickled in over the next few minutes.

We all sat down to eat dinner at 6:15, and the rest of the evening was spent hanging out and chatting.  It was so nice to be back to our Sunday dinner tradition after missing it the week before.  We did miss it to see Taylor Swift, so ya know, no complaints!  Haha.

After everyone left, B and I finished the Ed Sheeran documentary on Disney +, and then it was off to bed to get another week started!

Happy Tuesday, y’all!


  1. The Teacher's Appreciation stuff looks great! The Girl He Used To Know was my favorite book of the year I read it. I haven't watched A Million Little Things yet because I've been so busy but also because I'm scared! :(

  2. What a wonderful week. The teacher appreciation bars each day look and sound so good; I'm sure the teachers loved it. Alec has about 20 of them so I made them each a card and we just got them all a mini box of candy to go with the card.

    1. That sounds wonderful! I'm sure they appreciated that so much! Especially the handmade cards!


Thank you for taking the time to comment... I read and respond to each and every one! However, if you are a no-reply blogger (meaning that your email address is not connected to your Blogger account), I will not be able to reply to you directly via email... you will have to check back on the blog post for a response!