Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Our Week - The One with a Girls Dinner and a Fall Festival

Last week was a great one!  We had some beautiful weather, we got to spend time with friends and family, we watched our Dawgs win yet again, and it was just an all-around quintessential fall week.  Let’s get to the recap, shall we?

Monday, October 11

I spent Monday grocery shopping and playing catchup after being in the mountains the previous week.  I’d already done the unpacking and laundry, but there were pictures to sort, blogging to catch up on, and a stuffed email inbox among other things.  The whole day went by in the blink of an eye, and before I knew it, it was time to leave to pick up the kids from school.

After school, the kids and I headed straight to dance, dropped Olivia off, and then Jacob and I headed home.  I prepped everything for Tuesday and got everything ready for Jacob’s baseball game, and then I headed back to the dance school stopping at the car wash on the way back so I could get the car cleaned after our trip.  It was filthy after driving up and down that steep, muddy driveway all week.

By the time I arrived back at the dance school, I had just enough time to give social media a good scroll, and then when Olivia’s class let out, she and I headed to Chick-Fil-A to pick up dinner on the way to baseball. 

It had been nearly two full weeks since Jacob had played because his last two games were canceled from all of the rain we had.  Jacob had two hits, but he was thrown out at first both times, and we still ended up winning 12-6.  Winning that game put our team into the first place spot for the season, too!  They still have a few more games to play, but hopefully they can hold on to that spot! 

All of the grandparents attended the game, and then afterward, the kids opted to ride home with B which meant I got to ride home solo, just me, my sunroof open, and my music.  :o)

The kids were in bed by 9:45 and then B and I grabbed a bowl of ice cream and watched a little bit of Shark Tank until it was time for us to head to bed.

Tuesday, October 12

Tuesday morning, I got the kids to school and then headed home to work.  Brian plays tennis with a plumber, so he had already contacted him to come over and check out our leak situation from the previous week.  He and his coworker went up in our attic and found that the seal around one of our vent pipes that goes out to the roof needs to be replaced, so it wasn’t a plumbing issue after all.  Even though it’s not technically a roofing issue either, he said that a roofer will have to fix it.  It should be an easy fix, but we have a two-story house, so it’d be a lot of work to get up there. 

We spent the rest of the day asking around for recommendations for roofers so we can try to get them here to fix it before it rains again.  B googled it, and he said that those seals don’t usually last longer than 10-12 years, and our house is 12 years old, so we’re just going to have the roofer change out the seals on all of the pipes up there.  Might as well while he’s here!

Tuesday afternoon, B and I had to divide and conquer – I took Jacob to an appointment while B took Olivia to dance – and then we all met back at home afterward.  Just as B and Olivia came in the door, I kissed everyone goodbye and headed out to meet some girlfriends for dinner at the Mexican restaurant right down the street from our house.  The restaurant has garage doors on all sides so the whole thing is open-air, and the temp was perfect for it Tuesday.

There were supposed to be seven of us at dinner, but only five ended up making it.  Unfortunately, one of my friends ended up having to work late so she couldn’t come, and another friend couldn’t make it because we had a freak gas shortage here in town that started Monday, and she couldn’t find gas anywhere.  She was completely on empty, so she didn’t even have enough to get herself to the restaurant.  Apparently, there was a pipeline leak at the facility that supplies gas in our area, and there was no gas to be found anywhere.

My entire Facebook feed was full of people looking for gas recommendations Tuesday.  I have numerous friends who went to 5, 6, 7, and even 8 gas stations here in town only to find out that every single one was out.  The two gas stations nearest our neighborhood were all out, so I saw it for myself.  Thankfully, B and I both had three quarters of a tank, so we figured that would be enough to get us through until the pumps are back up.  B works from home now, so his SUV is rarely used anyway, so it’s easier for us to conserve.

Anyway, back to dinner – we had planned to get seven of us girls together from my high school graduating class of 2000 – we had arranged the get together at our homecoming alumni social a couple of weeks prior.  Five of us were able to make it and we had the best time talking over margs and Mexican food, and it was a wonderful evening.  We snapped a few pictures on the way out, but my friend Jenn had already left… I hate that we didn’t think to get a picture before she left!

I got home just as the kids were finishing up with their bedtime routine, and once they were in the bed, B and I watched the end of the Braves game and the first half of the newest episode of The Morning Show.

Wednesday, October 13

Wednesday morning, Jacob told me that his throat felt scratchy and that his nose was runny/stuffy, so we kept him home from school to be safe.  He didn’t have a fever nor did he have a cough or any aches and pains, but we’re just being super duper careful because of Covid.  While I got Olivia to school, B gave Jacob one of our at-home Covid tests, and it was negative, so we assumed he probably just had the same thing that Olivia had over Fall Break when she ran that random fever.  Unfortunately, Jacob had a baseball game Wednesday evening that he had to miss, and we were all bummed about that since they’ve already missed three others due to all the rain we’ve had. 

Jacob’s teacher sent over all of her lessons for the day, so Jacob was able to do a lot of his schoolwork.  There was some stuff he wasn’t able to do since he hadn’t known he would be sick and therefore, didn’t have his books, but at least he was able to knock a few things out.

I was able to get in a three-mile walk after I dropped Olivia and I alternated between working and assisting Jacob when he needed it.  He and I ate lunch together without B because he was in all-day meetings (at home) so he couldn’t join us.

At 3, I picked up Olivia, and then the rest of the evening was spent at home.  Jacob had a baseball game, but we held him out just to be safe, and it was a bummer to have to miss it, especially since we’ve already missed three other games this season due to rain.  We did pop in and check out the score from time-to-time, though, and his team ended up winning 12-1. 

I started dinner at 5 and then had a long phone call with Olivia’s teacher while dinner was cooking.  I’m the room mom for second grade this year (my first time doing it for Olivia’s class!), so her teacher and I wanted to work out all of the details for the class Halloween party.  We ended up chatting for about 30 minutes and by the time we were done, dinner was ready.

After dinner, the four of us got out for a walk around the neighborhood.  Jacob was still feeling fine other than his scratchy throat, and I thought some fresh air and exercise might do him some good after being inside all day.  Sure enough, he and Olivia ran ahead most of the time, and I could tell that he felt totally fine, so that was a big relief.

Many more of our neighbors had put out Halloween decorations since the last time we’d walked our usual route, and the kids were excited to see skeletons and graveyards and light-up spiderwebs and giant blowup pumpkins in some of the yards.  Our neighborhood goes all out for Halloween and it is the place to be for trick-or-treating, so it’s always fun to see what everyone does to be festive.  Yet another reason for me to step up my porch game next year…

After our walk, I finished up my to-do list for the day while the kids showered and got ready for bed.  I typically try to have my to-do list complete before they get home from school, but it just wasn’t possible Wednesday since I’d taken extra time out of my day to spend with Jacob since he was home sick.

Once the kiddos were in bed, B and I finished the episode of The Morning Show that we’d started the night before, and we also got caught up on A Million Little Things. 

Thursday, October 14

Thursday, Jacob was feeling totally fine, and since he’d had the negative Covid test and he’d never run a fever, his teacher said to send him on back to school.  We did our usual morning routine, I got both of them to school, and then I worked for the rest of the day + started doing some online Christmas shopping in my cozy office.

Thursday evening, I cooked a good, healthy dinner – baked parmesan chicken with roasted carrots, broccoli, and green beans – and then the four of us went for another walk around our neighborhood.  Neither of the kids had activities, so it was a leisurely evening at home again.  The weather has been so nice lately, too.  Since the sun is setting earlier now, it’s been much cooler during the time when we always take our walks, so we’ve been enjoying them.  And Thursday, we walked along the trail in the woods, so it was even cooler.

We did about 1.5 miles, and then B and the kids went home to get ready for bed while I ran 2 miles.  The sunset Thursday night was perfection, and I paused for a minute to take it in. 

By the time I got back home, the kids were almost ready for bed, and then we all piled on the couch to watch Survivor.  

The whole time during the show, Olivia was wiggling her bottom tooth, and it was barely hanging on, so I told her she should try to pull it.

Sure enough, she barely pulled on it and it came right out.  She was so shocked and so were the rest of us.  Haha.  That’s the second tooth she’s pulled herself and it just baffles me that she can do that.  It turns my stomach even thinking about it.  I don’t mind blood or needles or anything like that but show me a wiggly tooth and I lose it. Haha.

Once the kids were tucked in the bed and Olivia’s tooth was safely under her pillow, B and I headed back downstairs to watch A Million Little Things and half of a Supermarket Sweep before calling it a night ourselves.

Friday, October 15

Friday morning, I dropped the kids at school and then got in a 3-mile fast walk around our neighborhood.  The rest of the day was spent working and getting organized.  There is so much looming on the horizon with upcoming school events and aaaallll the holidays, so I spent a lot of the day printing my holiday checklist and working to stay on top of things.

Friday afternoon, Jacob's class had their first quarter awards ceremony, so I headed to the cafeteria for that, and I snapped a couple of pictures of him with his two besties.  

Friday evening, we stayed home, got takeout from our favorite local pub, and Brian picked up Dairy Queen Blizzards to eat after dinner.  After dinner, we started watching The Fresh Prince of Bel Air with the kids, and y’all, they are loving it.  It was one of my favorite shows growing up, and Brian loved it, too, so it’s something we can all enjoy together.  It also addresses the topic of racism/systemic racism, which we’ve been discussing with the kids ongoing, so it has also opened the door for a couple of good conversations already. 

After the kiddos went to bed, B and I caught up on some shows from the week and then we called it a night.

Saturday, October 16

Saturday morning, my friend Jeannine, asked us if we wanted to join them for a fall festival that was going on about five minutes down the road from our house.  We’re not ones to turn down a good time with our friends, especially when it’s a fall festival, so we said yes!  And then we spent the rest of the morning eating festive waffles, finishing up laundry and house chores, and getting ready so we could meet them.  B got home from his tennis match just in time to shower and join us, and then we headed to the festival.

The weather was crisp and cool and could not have been any more beautiful for a fall outdoor event.  We hadn’t eaten lunch, so when we arrived, we met up with Jeannine and her fam and then Olivia stood in the balloon animals line with Jeannine, her hubs, and her littlest while Brian, Jacob, Jeannine’s eldest, and I got in line at one of the food trucks to grab lunch.  I was super excited about the gourmet mac and cheese topped with pulled pork, but it wasn’t great.  Kind of disappointing considering we have some really good food trucks here in town.

After we had our food, we met back up with the others who had just gotten their balloon animals, and then we got in line for the pony rides.  The line was loooong, so the kids ran around and played while the parents held their places in line.  Once we were near the front of the line, the kids were able to visit with the little piglet and the goats.  Oh my word, y’all, that baby pig was the absolute cutest thing!  I just wanted to put her in my purse and take her home!

The kids got to ride the ponies after that, and they all loved it.  Olivia was in absolute heaven.  She has always loved animals and has told us for most of her life that she wants to be a veterinarian, so she didn’t want to leave. 

After the pony ride, we visited the rest of the animals – some donkeys, chicks, and the pig again, and by that time, the festival was starting to wind down.  The kids were all in the mood for something sweet, so we walked to the bake shop there, but we were disappointed to see that they had just closed.  To improvise, we walked back over to the festival and ordered funnel cakes.  I don’t think I’ve ever had a funnel cake before (I know!), and it was soooo delicious. 

By the time the funnel cakes were consumed, the festival was over, so we all parted ways and headed home.  The Georgia vs. Kentucky football game was on at 3:30 so we had to be back!!  It was a big game because at the time, both teams were undefeated 6-0.  We (Georgia) ended up winning big again, and now we’re sitting at 7-0 for the season.  Sheesh, it’s nerve-wracking being on top!

Once we'd driven up the score pretty good, I brought Olivia's artwork basket into the living room to get it cleaned out while I watched the game.  Her basket was a hot mess, and now it looks soooo good.  I totally forgot to take an after picture, but just trust me!

Since the game went well into the evening, we ordered Papa John’s delivery, so we didn’t have to leave the house, and just as we finished eating, the game ended.

After the game, we watched a couple more episodes of The Fresh Prince with the kids, and then B and I watched some more TV as well.  We have so many shows that we’re watching now since network TV has started again, so it’s taking us quite some time to get caught up each weekend.

Sunday, October 17

Sunday morning was virtual church and cinnamon rolls followed by getting a few things done around the house – sorting clothes, planning the week ahead, and a few other random annoying house things that had been needing some attention.  I also put out our new skeletons on the bar cart to surprise the kids.  They love them!

We met at my mother-in-law and step-father-in-law’s house for Sunday lunch, and we also celebrated my step-FIL for his birthday.  As always, the food was delicious, and the company was even better.  Also, their Halloween decorations are on point!

B had another tennis match Sunday afternoon, so we left their house around 3 so he could get to his match.  The kids and I stayed home prepping for the week ahead and tidying the house, and then they played video games for a bit while I got some things done in my office.

The weather was gorgeous yet again, so we all headed outside afterward, and the kids had a blast running around playing some zombie game they invented.  My parents were just getting back in town from visiting my oldest brother and his fam, so we didn’t do Sunday dinner with them.  Instead, B picked up Mexican takeout on the way home from his tennis match, and then the four of us ate that and enjoyed some margs on the back porch. 

After dinner, the kids played some more, and nobody wanted to come in because the weather was so amazing.  We finally dragged them in at dark, and then we watched two more episodes of The Fresh Prince to round out the evening. 

Happy Tuesday, y’all!



  1. You can tell Olivia just loves animals! She was definitely living her best life at the festival. Glad Jacob's cold was not big deal and he only had to miss one day of school. It's so hard with Covid around and trying to judge what is what with everything going around.

    1. Yes she does! She was in heaven for sure. And YESSSS, that's the worst part right now is having to test for Covid every time. Both of our kids are actually sick right now as I type this, so we had to go through it again yesterday morning. Thankfully, no Covid again, but man, it's stressful wondering if it is or not.

  2. Alone time in the car with the sunroof and music is heaven! So glad Jacob got well so quickly! Dinner with high school friends is always a fun time!


Thank you for taking the time to comment... I read and respond to each and every one! However, if you are a no-reply blogger (meaning that your email address is not connected to your Blogger account), I will not be able to reply to you directly via email... you will have to check back on the blog post for a response!