Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Our Week - The One with a Girls Dinner, Baseball, and Covid

Well, we had a good run, but Covid has officially hit our household.  Womp womp.  So far, only Jacob has tested positive, and he's doing very well, so hopefully it'll stay that way! 

Now for the recap...

Monday, January 31

Monday was standard – Publix for groceries, back home to work all day, pick up the kids from school at 3, dance for Olivia.  While she was at dance, I ran Jacob home, and then I ran a couple of errands – CVS to pick up a prescription and then Hobby Lobby to look for planters.  I’d originally planned to go to TJ Maxx, but Hobby Lobby has more variety, so I went there instead and found what I was looking for!

As soon as dance got out, Olivia and I headed home, and B and I made breakfast for dinner.  After dinner, I got into my PJs and curled up on the chair in our bedroom to read for a bit, and after Olivia was done showering, she came and snuggled with me for a bit and we talked about her day. 

After the kids were in bed, B and I watched some of The Bachelor, and then we headed to bed early so I could read some more and then get a good night’s sleep.  These cold winter Mondays have been making me SO sleepy lately, y’all.

Tuesday, February 1

Tuesday morning, I dropped the kids at school, and they were excited because it was an out-of-uniform day for Catholic Schools Week.  I headed straight home and then worked all morning.  I also got the kids’ new bathroom towels washed.

Mid-morning, I was THRILLED to see that Dave Matthews Band had announced their summer concert tour dates.  Since they’d postponed their tour in 2020 and then had to start their tour later than expected in 2021, I thought for sure they’d take a break from touring in 2022, so I was ecstatic to see that they’re doing a full tour like always.  Y’all know B and I will be there!!!!

After school, the kids did homework, and then Olivia and I headed back out to go to dance.  While she was in class, I ran to the CVS down the street to grab some of the N95 masks that the government distributed, but I was bummed to see that they don’t have ear loops… they wrap around your entire head, and I’m not sure I can get on board with that.  They look highly uncomfortable. 

When Olivia and I got home, B left to go play tennis, and the kids and I heated a frozen pizza for dinner.  After dinner, I got everything ready for the next day, and then I did a light cardio workout while the kids got showered and ready for bed. 

Jacob’s new baseball coach called Tuesday evening to let us know that he had drafted Jacob to be on the Tigers this season.  Jacob was excited because this guy was one of his assistant coaches last season, so he already knows him, and he really liked having him last season.

B got home just in time to get the kids in the bed, and then he and I watched This is Us and then called it a night.

Wednesday, February 2

Wednesday morning, I woke up to a fully booked dining plan for our Disney trip in April!!!!!  Our travel agent was up early to try to get everything that we wanted, and she had major success!!  She was able to get all of our requests (and at good times, too – sometimes you have to eat dinner at 4 PM to get the restaurant you want, but we didn’t have any of those odd times this time) except for our Hollywood Studios request.  We loooove Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater there, but it’s impossible to get into.  We’re going to keep stalking the reservations to see if anything opens.

After I dropped the kids at school, I got a ton of work done – lots of blog posts prepped and started – and then I spent the afternoon cleaning out, scrubbing, organizing, and refreshing the kids’ bathroom.  I pulled all of the old stuff out of there, I got the new shower curtain and liner hung, got the new rugs put down, and I got the new towels folded and put away.  Now we just need wall décor, and we need to install the towel hooks, and that room will be done!

For Catholic Schools Week, Jacob's school gathered on the football field Wednesday afternoon for an all-school Rosary.  The Rosary was made from an arrangement of balloons and it resembled a cross and beads, and they had a student from each grade hold the balloons.  Jacob was chosen from fifth grade and he was so excited.  His teacher snapped this picture and sent it to me.

Wednesday was unseasonably warm at 70 degrees in the afternoon, so after homework, the kids played basketball and I went for a run.  Aside from it being really windy, my run went really well, and it was definitely easier than the last time I went when it was colder.  My asthmatic lungs don’t do well in the cold.

I felt great after my run, and when I got home, I got showered and then started dinner while listening to my beloved 90’s pop station on Amazon.  Never gets old!

After dinner, I cleaned out a couple more cabinets in the kitchen while the kids got ready for bed, and then after they were in bed, B and I watched the rest of Saturday Night Live that we’d started earlier in the week.  I also finished my book, The Wish, by Nicholas Sparks, and it was fantastic… probably his best book since The Notebook.  Just so, so good, y’all.

Thursday, February 3

Thursday morning, I dropped the kids at school and then worked all morning while chugging tons of water.  I had a blood donation appointment scheduled Thursday afternoon, so I needed to hydrate!  This girl kept me company, as always.

I spent the whole morning working in my office, and then after lunch, I headed to my Momma and Daddy’s house to pick up Momma because she came to donate blood, too!  Red Cross got us in and out super-fast as always, and we both did great!

After we were done there, I had some time to kill before I had to get in the car line, so I hung out at my parents’ house for a bit until it was time to go.  My Momma has been doing lots of projects around the house since she’s retired, so I got to go see some of the things she’s been up to these last few weeks.

I grabbed the kids from school at 3, and then we all headed home to get started on homework.  Jacob had his first baseball practice Thursday evening, so we had to get a move on it!  It was rainy all day Thursday, but since Jacob’s practice was in the batting cages, his practice didn’t get canceled.

At school, Olivia had written an essay about Disney World and I thought it was just the cutest thing!  Girlfriend loves to write, and she provides TONS of details when she writes (ahem, like her momma... hahahaha), and she reminds me so much of myself when I was little.  She asked me to snap a picture of the essay and send it to Pop and Cokie so they could read it.  I am dying over the, "...so let's move on."  Lol.

I had a girls’ dinner with four of my girlfriends from high school on Thursday evening, so I made grilled cheese sandwiches for the rest of the fam, and then my friend, Jen, came to pick me up for dinner shortly after.  Since I’d donated blood, I felt pretty winded and a little weak (I always feel that way for about 24-48 hours afterward), so she was kind enough to pick me up so I could have a marg and not have to worry about driving.  After you donate blood, they always tell you no alcohol for 24 hours because your body gets so dehydrated, but since I had somewhere around 120 oz. of water that day, I felt okay about having one as long as I didn’t drive. 

We all met at one of our favorite local Mexican restaurants at 6, and it felt so good to dine in there!  That spot has been my Wednesday girls’ margarita night spot for the past 16? 17? 18? years and I hadn’t dined in there since March 13, 2020.  Yep, the day that everything shut down.  When B and I found out that everything was going to shut down that day, we took the kids and made that our last meal out.  Haha.  We’ve gotten takeout from there numerous times since Covid started, but I hadn’t dined in there in almost TWO YEARS.  Insane.

Anyhoo, the girls and I ended up staying at the restaurant for nearly two and a half hours and we laughed our way through the entire meal.  It was so so good for the soul as usual.  Jen drove me home after dinner, and just as I got in the house, a massive storm started blowing in, so I was on pins and needles until she texted me to let me know she’d made it home safely. 

When I got home, the kids were all ready for bed, so all we had to do was get them in there.  Jacob told me all about baseball practice and he said that he’d enjoyed it.  Since he was on the fence about playing this season at all, that made me happy to know he enjoyed it. 

Once the kids were in the bed, B and I watched Supermarket Sweep, and then we headed to bed, too. 

Friday, February 4

We had super loud thunderstorms go through all night Thursday into Friday, so Olivia ended up in our bed, and I barely slept because the storms were so loud.  I woke up on the struggle bus Friday morning, and then on the way to school, traffic was stopped on the highway due to an accident.  It never fails… every. single. time. it rains there’s an accident in the same stretch of highway on our route.  I’ve started going a different way on rainy days sometimes just because it’s so predictable that traffic will be backed up, but we heard the traffic report on the way, and they said everything was clear, so I thought it was safe to go that way. 

It ended up taking us 35 minutes to get to school (it usually takes 12-15 depending on traffic), so the kids were almost late.  Thankfully, they made it with less than five minutes to spare.

After I dropped them, I headed to the groomer to drop Maui, and then I headed home to work all morning.  It rained steadily all day and the temp dropped drastically throughout the day, so by the time I headed back out at lunch to pick Maui up, it was freezing, and I felt terrible for her because she was so cold without her hair.  She wouldn't even look at me.  Haha.

When the kids and I got home from school, they had their snacks and then they watched some Minecraft how-to videos on YouTube while I worked on the laundry room and cleaned out a couple more kitchen cabinets.  

Olivia's BFF's mom texted a picture of an assignment that Olivia's friend had done at school, and I thought it was so sweet because she wrote it about Olivia.  Precious babies!  And the end had me cracking up... "BYE!"  I might need to start ending all of my blog posts that way.  Hahahaha.

B picked up Carrabba’s takeout for dinner, and then we all watched Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs.  After the movie, the kiddos went to bed, and B and I started the new season of Raising Dion and then we watched one episode of Ozark.  I started my new book – The Midnight Library – before bed, and so far, it’s holding my attention, although it’s quite different from books I typically read.

Saturday, February 5

Saturday morning, Jacob came into our bedroom just before 8 AM to tell us that he wasn’t feeling well.  He said he had a scratchy throat and that he was hot and cold.  I took his temp, and he had a very low-grade fever right around 99.  Brian was leaving later in the morning to go to his step-dad’s mother’s memorial service out of town, so we knew we needed to test Jacob for Covid to make sure it was okay for B to go.  Thankfully, Jacob’s Covid test was negative.

I spent the morning working out and doing laundry as I do every Saturday, and as the morning progressed, I could tell that Jacob wasn’t feeling well because he was spending more and more time laying down.  He was supposed to have had baseball practice at 10 AM, but luckily, it was canceled due to all the rain Friday, so he didn’t have to miss it.

Brian left at noon, and the kids and I ate a light lunch together.  Jacob barely touched his food, and after lunch, he was so cold that he changed into some long-sleeve pajamas and lay down on the floor wrapped up in a thick blanket.  I knew that was a red flag, so I took his temp again, and sure enough, it had climbed to 100.9.  I gave him some Ibuprofen, and within 30 minutes, he was feeling much better. 

Since he was under the weather and since it was also freeeezing outside, they stayed inside all afternoon playing in the playroom and then playing video games.  I spent the whole afternoon working on small tasks/projects around the house that I’d been putting off for a while – bagging up donation piles that had been sitting around the house, unwrapping a new lamp and setting it up, changing out a few lightbulbs around the house, gathering up a bunch of returns and getting them in my car, deciding which rug to use in the laundry room, setting up a couple of things in the kids’ bathroom, organizing a couple of spaces, and cleaning out a couple more spaces, etc. 

It was a suuuuper productive afternoon, and it felt nice to cross a bunch of stuff off of my list.  Pretty soon, we won’t have much extra time since we’ll be getting out and about and doing all of the spring and end-of-the-schoolyear things, so I’m getting as much done while I can.  I used to hate January and February, but now I’ve come to love them since we use all of the down time to get things done around the house.

Jacob felt good all afternoon, thanks to the Ibuprofen, and thankfully, by the time the medicine wore off, he still felt good.  I had expected his fever to spike again, but it never did.  Woo hoooo!

Brian got home later in the afternoon, and he played some video games with the kids, and while he was playing video games, Olivia did his hair.  LOLOLOLOL.  And yes, he volunteered to put this picture on the blog.  Haha.

After that, he headed back out to pick up dinner from our favorite local pub as well as Dairy Queen Blizzards for a little treat!  And sadly, he took his hairdo down before he left.  Hahahaha.

Olivia has had a suuuuper loose tooth for a while, and this weekend it was hanging by a thread, so after dinner, she decided to pull it herself, and she did!  Hahahaha.  That’s the second one that she’s pulled herself.  She is such a boss. 

After dinner, we watched Ice Age: Continental Drift, and then after the kids went to bed, B and I watched another episode of Raising Dion and then an Ozark.

Sunday, February 6

Sunday morning, Jacob woke up feeling back to normal other than a scratchy throat, and he was still fever-free.  Woo hoooo!  We watched virtual church and had… cinnamon rolls!  Yay!  I finally found cinnamon rolls at Publix this week… they were the regular (not-as-good) ones and not the flaky ones that we like, but at this point, beggars can’t be choosers, right?

I also planned out the week ahead to make sure we had all of our ducks in a row, and then I sorted the laundry, watered the plants, and did the typical Sunday things.  I ended the morning by cleaning out the last of the kitchen cabinets and drawers, and I got everything bagged up and ready to donate.  The kitchen is officially done other than the closets and the command center and I’m just  making my way through my list. 

We all had another light lunch together, and then after lunch, we went for a walk around the neighborhood since Jacob was feeling better.  It was pretty chilly again on Sunday, but it didn’t seem to bother the kids.  Jacob ended up running for half of our walk, so I could tell he was much better.  

The late afternoon was spent working a bit in my office, and then I cooked dinner.  Afterward, we decided to test Jacob one more time out of an abundance of caution, and what do you know, his test was positive.  Sigh.  The positive line showed up within, like, one minute and it was darker than the control line, so there was no doubt about it either.

That ended up changing the course of the evening, and I spent the rest of the night contacting the school to find out what we needed to do about getting Jacob's work, how long he needed to quarantine, and what we needed to do about sending Olivia.  Then, after the kids went to bed, B and I watched a Supermarket Sweep and called it a night.

So far, Jacob's case has been very mild and the rest of us have managed to avoid it, so fingers crossed it stays that way!

Happy Tuesday, y’all!  BYE.  Hahahaha.


  1. I like Olivia's paper about Disney. Does she know that Rapunzel's tower is actually a bathroom? lol. You run faster than me, I'm so slow! I'm running about a 12:30 mile now. Hope Jacob remains feeling well. Zachary only felt sick one day and then he had to stay home for 5. And hopefully the rest of you stay well too!

  2. Sweet Maui! I hope Jacob's feeling better!

  3. Olivia's paper on Disney is just priceless! Glad to hear Jacob hasn't really been sick more than the one day and hope the rest of you manage to steer clear as well. My husband was Suuper sick with covid (well, I mean not hospitalized sick but felt like he had the flu for a good 10 days) back in the fall and no one else in the house came down with it either so fingers crossed!!

    1. Oh I'm so sorry he was that sick. I'm so glad that all of you made it through unscathed! We're all still feeling well so fingers crossed we'll have a similar outcome!

  4. Aw man, sorry Jacob has Covid! Glad it is a mild case. Those vaccines work! Maui is so cute with her haircut!


Thank you for taking the time to comment... I read and respond to each and every one! However, if you are a no-reply blogger (meaning that your email address is not connected to your Blogger account), I will not be able to reply to you directly via email... you will have to check back on the blog post for a response!