Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Our Week - The One with a Girls Dinner and Decorating for Christmas

This past week was nice and slow, which was such a breath of fresh air after the crazy week that was Halloween week.  It did start out a little rough, but sometimes that happens… thankfully, the rest of it was great!  Let’s get to the recap!

Monday, November 1

Monday was a MONDAY for sure.  Nothing major in the scheme of things, but man oh man, it was just one of those days.  Nothing but frustration all. day. long.  I’d started the day feeling fresh and super pumped to accomplish a ton.  Since our last week had been so crazy busy, it was a relief to have hardly anything on the calendar the entire week, and I was ready to knock out a ton of blog work and get ahead. 


My computer had other plans.  It acted up all day long, and it ended up taking me nearly seven hours just to finish my blog post for the next day.  It was terrible.  The computer was just so slow all day that it took some serious restraint to not throw it out the window.

In addition to that, my phone was acting weird, and one of the settings on my car’s dash got accidentally changed.  That wasn’t a big deal, but it threw me for a loop since I’d grown so accustomed to having it a certain way.  After much googling and finally watching a YouTube video, I learned how to fix it, and now I know how to navigate all of the menus so I can fix it immediately if it happens again.  Technology and I just do not mix a lot of the time, y’all.  Haha.

We also received a shipment (a Christmas gift) from a small business that was wrong, so I had to take the time to contact their customer service.  It didn’t end up being too much of a hassle, and they corrected the problem immediately, but it was just annoying to have to deal with it in the first place after such a crazy day.

Since my computer hadn’t cooperated all day, all of my time was wasted on my blog post, and I got nothing else done except for a couple of loads of laundry during all the times I had to restart my computer.  Sigh.

I picked up the kids at 3, and then we headed to dance class.  As soon as Olivia was safely inside, I took Jacob home, and then I spent the next hour getting everything ready for baseball, for the next day, and finishing up my blog post that I hadn’t been able to finish before I had to leave to pick them up.

After that, I headed back to the dance school to wait for Olivia to get out, and then she and I ran to Chick-Fil-A to pick up dinner on the way to Jacob’s baseball game.  Brian and Jacob were already there when we arrived, and then the rest of the evening was spent at the ball field watching Jacob’s team in the tournament. 

We played against the team that we'd beaten every time during the regular season, so we thought for sure we’d have a win. 


Again, everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong.  We ended up only having seven players (we typically have 10 on the field) due to injuries and illnesses, and two of those players were our best pitchers.  Therefore, we had someone else pitching and he had a very rough game, walking every single kid the entire first inning until they met the cap of five runs per inning. 

In addition to that, the umpire made numerous bad calls in favor of the other team, so much, that I was having flashbacks to last season.  And one of the bad calls was a game-changer.  One of our kids was supposed to have been walked, but the ump said there had only been three balls pitched (even though everyone, including our coach, told him it was four), but he wouldn’t listen and he made the kid take another pitch. 

The kid ended up popping it up and it was caught for an out, so he ended up getting our third out when he should have been walked.  We had kids on base that could have scored runs to keep us in the game if he had been walked as he was supposed to, so the bad call just came at a really important time.  I felt so bad for the kid because he totally got robbed.

We haven’t had any situations with bad calls this whole season (you may remember last season we had several games that were lost just because of the bad calls), so it just stunk that it had to happen during the tournament.

In addition to all of that, our boys had five incredible hits that typically would have resulted in base hits, that ended up going straight to the kids in the field for outs.  One of those was Jacob’s.  He smashed a line drive and it landed right in a kid’s glove… the kid barely had to move to catch it.  It was just crazy how everything kept working against us.  

Going into this game, we were in first place, but the tournament was single elimination, so our loss meant that we were out of it.  Jacob was pretty disappointed, but lessons were learned, and he still had fun, and that’s what matters the most.  And we couldn't be too disappointed because the coaches and a few of the kids on the other team were on our team last season, so it was great to see them succeed!


Tuesday, November 2

Tuesday morning, I was ready for a do-over.  I dropped the kids at school and then I had to swing by Target to return a few things.  While I was in there, I just happened to see my friend, Jeannine, so I popped over to talk to her for a minute, and while she and I were chatting, our friend, Becky, walked up, too.  Hahahaha.  So random that all three of us were hanging out at Target on a Tuesday morning at 8 AM.

After my Target run, I swung by Fresh Market to grab some chicken, and then I was on my way home to work work work work work.  Thankfully, my computer was lightning fast – even faster than usual (I think that was its way of apologizing for Monday) – so I was able to knock out two entire blog posts before lunch. 

After lunch, I knocked out portions of two other posts and I caught up on my emails, and then it was time to pick up the kids from school.  We had just enough time at home for Olivia to knock out her homework before it was time to leave again for dance.  I sat in the parking lot at dance and responded to some emails, made my to-do list for the next day, and had a few minutes of downtime, and then she and I headed home.

Just as we walked in the door, B walked out to go to tennis, and I immediately got started on dinner for the kids and me.  After dinner, the kids played for a bit and we got the house tidied, and then I sat and read some with Olivia while Jacob showered.  After that, Olivia showered, and then by the time they were both ready for bed, B was walking in the door just in time to watch Game 6 of the World Series.

We let the kids stay up a bit later, but Olivia ended up asking me to put her to bed because she was so tired.  Girlfriend loves sleep just as much as her momma!  Jacob stayed up to finish out the inning, and then after he went to bed, B and I watched the game.  I ended up calling it a night around 10:45, and B stayed up finishing out the game to watch the Braves win it!!  That was the first time they’ve won the World Series since 1995 (I was just 13 years old), so the entire state of Georgia was THRILLED.  I would have liked to stay up and watch them win it, but midnight is just too late for me when my alarm starts going off at 5:30 AM the next morning.


Wednesday, November 3

Wednesday morning, I dropped the kids at school, dropped off a return at the library, and then I headed home to snuggle up in my office.  It was coooold Wednesday morning!!  I made some hot cinnamon tea, turned on the twinkle lights, cranked up the Christmas music, and snuggled up in my blanket aaaallll morning working. 

At 11 AM, B and I headed out to grab some lunch and run a couple of errands.  First up, was the liquor store to grab some essentials that were running low.  After that, we stopped at a new-ish restaurant just down the street from our neighborhood to have lunch.  The restaurant offers only clean, healthy food so that was right up my alley.  I love a good, healthy lunch. 

I opted for a bowl with sweet potatoes, chicken, broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, garlic seasoning, and their clean teriyaki sauce and it was so delicious.  Everything was so fresh and perfectly cooked.  B opted for the bison burger with turkey bacon and sweet potatoes “fries” (that aren’t fried) and he said it was really good, too.  It was a bit chilly outside, but it was warm enough in the sun, so we opted to sit outside, and it was just a nice lunch out. 

After we were done eating, we headed to Publix to get our flu shots.  We usually get them in late September, so we’re a bit behind this year, but we wanted to make sure we’re all protected on the back end of flu season since we’ll be going to Disney World for spring break. 

We ended up having to wait a good 15-20 minutes for a flu shot which was unusual, and then while we were there, we picked up a few necessities for home. 

When we got back home, I headed back to my office to finish up working for the day, and before I knew it, it was time to leave to pick up the kiddos from school.  The rest of the afternoon was a flurry of activity as it always is – snacks, homework, dishes, lunch-making, etc. – and then I left at 5 to meet two of my best girls (Jeannine and Jen) for dinner. 

We went to a local Thai place in town that I hadn’t had in years.  It had moved locations and I’d never been to the one downtown before, but the food was just as good as it had always been at the other location.  We got an order of the spring rolls and I had the garlic and black pepper chicken, and oh man, it was divine. 

The three of us sat around and chatted for a little over two hours, and thankfully, the restaurant stayed pretty empty until just before we decided to leave.  When I got home, the kids were already ready for bed, and they were eagerly awaiting my return so we could all watch an episode of The Fresh Prince.  We’d put it on hold to watch all the baseball when the Braves were in the World Series, but since it was over, it was time to get back to regularly scheduled programming.

After they went to bed, B and I watched some of The Bachelorette and then we called it a night.  With all of the baseball watching, we had a TON of TV to catch up on.


Thursday, November 4

Thursday was cloudy and cold, so once again, I headed back home to get cozy after I dropped the kids at school.  I had some jeans that needed to be packaged and returned, so I got that out of the way first, and then I spent the rest of the day in my office working and Christmas shopping. 

At 3, I grabbed the kids from school and then we headed straight to the pediatrician’s office to get their flu shots.  Once again, our office did the curbside flu shot service, so it was super-fast, and we were out of there in less than five minutes.

Olivia haaaates a shot, and in the past, she has cried (and even screamed – cringe) in the minutes leading up to the shot.  Last year was one of those times that she cried and fought it, but then right after the shot she was like, “Well that didn’t even hurt.”  LOL.  So, last year, I told her, “I want you to remember this moment next year when you have to get your shot.” 

Sure enough, when I told them we were going to get flu shots she started whining, so I reminded her how easy it was for her last year and she immediately turned off the whining and was fine.  I also bribed them with cake pops from Starbucks, and that cheered her right up.

She did great for her shot.  She did whine for about 30 seconds leading up to it, but that was it, and it was over.  Jacob, as always, wasn’t phased in the least and he took his shot like a boss, as he always does.

As promised, we headed straight to Starbucks afterward, and we finally got to see my littlest brother there working.  He’s been working there for a few years now, but he always works the afternoon shift.  I never drink coffee in the afternoon, so we’ve never gotten to see him at work.  The kids were excited to see him, and they were super excited for their reindeer cake pops, too.  ‘Tis the season!  ;o)

The rest of the afternoon and evening were spent at home.  It was gloomy and cold all day, so we skipped the outdoor walk and opted to stay cozy inside.  I got dinner in the oven and then pulled out the upstairs Christmas trees while the kids played with the slime that they’d made at school.  I got the tree set up in our master bedroom before it was time to eat dinner, and then afterward, we all hung out in the living room listening to Christmas music.  Yes, we are THOSE people.  We stay in the spirit from the beginning of November to the end of December.  And yes, we love Thanksgiving, too! 

When the kids headed upstairs to get showered and ready for bed, I got in a quick cardio workout since I’d skipped it earlier in the day.  By the time I was done with my workout, the kids were all ready for bed, so we watched one episode of The Fresh Prince and then we all read Thanksgiving in the Woods together.  Olivia still loves a children’s book and Jacob still tolerates them, so I’m going to keep on reading with them as long as they let me. 

After the kids were in bed, B and I caught up on The Bachelorette and A Million Little Things and then we headed off to bed, too.


Friday, November 5

Friday morning, I dropped the kids and then headed home to work all day yet again.  It was nice to have an entire week with no appointments, meetings, or plans, and I got tons of work done.  In a perfect world, I’d like to finish all of my content through the end of the year by mid-December, so I can have Christmas Break to not have to worry about blog stuff, but that’s pretty hard to do. 

When the kids and I got home from school, I started pulling out all of the Christmas stuff while they played outside most of the afternoon.  They were wild Friday afternoon, so some outdoor time was much needed.  When they came back inside, I got to setting up the four trees upstairs – the one in my office, our master bedroom, and the ones in Jacob’s and Olivia’s rooms.

I typically try to do the decorating when they’re home because most of the time they like to help.  I got my office tree completely done before dinner, and by the time I finished, B was pulling up with takeout from Five Guys.  He and I mixed up some Moscow Mules and we all ate dinner, and then afterward, I got the tree in my bedroom done while the kids showered.  They each took turns helping me, too.

While we were decorating our bedroom tree, the most gorgeous rosy glow was coming in through the windows, so I walked over to the window and I saw this:

So gorgeous!

Once that was done, Olivia admired the tree for a bit, and then we all went downstairs.

B put a fire in the fireplace – our first one of the season! – and we all settled in to watch Ghostbusters 2.  I fell asleep as I do most of the time on Friday evenings.  By the end of the week I’m just completely exhausted and it’s hard to keep my eyes open!

After the movie was over, the kids went to bed, and then B and I caught up on the two newest episodes of The Morning Show.  OMG, Y’ALL.  That is all I’m going to say.


Saturday, November 6

Saturday morning, B headed out bright and early for tennis and the kids and I had homemade waffles for breakfast and lounged for a bit afterward while we watched ESPN College GameDay.  They retreated to the playroom to watch a couple of cartoons while I worked out, and then I started pulling out all of the rest of the Christmas stuff while simultaneously taking down the fall decorations. 

B got home just before lunch and we all had sandwiches, and then I sent the kids outside to burn some energy for a bit while I continued decorating.  We watched the Georgia game at noon, and I decorated downstairs while I watched.  I decorated from 10 AM to a little after 4 PM only stopping to eat lunch, and I still didn’t finish everything.  It is a lot of work to get everything up, and that’s why I start so early in the season!  If I’m going to spend days and days getting it up, I might as well be able to enjoy it for a long time!

At 4:30, I finally threw in the towel because my back was killing me, and I got showered and into my PJs.  I got a couple of things done in my office after that, and then I headed back downstairs to watch the second half of the Auburn vs. Texas A&M game with B while the kids played outside some more. 

We had pizza delivered from Papa John’s for dinner, because that’s what we always do when we don’t want to leave the house because of #allthefootball. 

After dinner, the kids watched a movie upstairs while B and I watched more football, and then we sent them to bed and watched more football.  My gosh, I love college football Saturdays!


Sunday, November 7

Sunday morning, we were all up an hour earlier since the time had changed so we were able to take full advantage of the extra hour.  We did virtual church and cinnamon rolls, I planned the week ahead, I decorated for Christmas some more, and I got a workout in, all before 10 AM. 

After that, we all got ready and headed out for an early lunch.  My mother-in-law and step-father-in-law didn’t cook lunch, so we hit up Panera and sat outside.  It was chilly on Sunday, but we chose a table in the sun and it was just right.  The kids got some pumpkin shortbread cookies, and Olivia said, "Hey, Mommy, will you please take my picture holding my cookie?"  Haha.

After lunch, we drove over to the park near my MIL and step-FIL’s house and the kids played on the playground forever.  The weather was seriously gorgeous, and it was wonderful to spend so much time outdoors.  After the kids had their fill of playtime, we kept the outdoor time rolling with a walk in the park, too. 

We swung by my MIL and step-FIL’s house afterward to drop something off, and then it was time to head home.  When we got home, the kids tidied up and prepped all of their stuff for Monday, then they got showers, and after that, they spent some time playing video games while I worked in my office.  My Christmas tree was up, and I was feeling festive again, so I watched Serendipity while I worked.  One of my favorite movies of all-time ever.  Just so, so good.  More movies like that, please, Hollywood!

Sunday evening, we all loaded up in the car and headed to my parents for Sunday dinner!  We’ve been doing all of our Sunday dinners outside at our house since the kids went back to school, so we hadn’t been to their house since July. 

Since the time changed Sunday and it was really cold, eating on the back porch would have been miserable, so we just decided to do dinner at Momma and Daddy’s.  It was SOOOO good to be back.  I’ve been missing Sunday dinners at their house so much during Covid, but this time of year I miss them even more.  They still live in my childhood home and it’s just so cozy this time of year. 

My Mama Cass and my littlest bro both had somewhere else to be Sunday evening so neither of them were there, so that was a bummer, but hopefully next weekend everyone will be able to make it!    

Momma made spaghetti and salad and bread, and she had a plate of freshly baked sugar cookies waiting for us, too.  My Daddy and Brian and I shared a bottle of wine and I made my Momma one of her favorite Winter White Cosmos, and we sat around the table all evening talking and listening to Christmas music.  It was just the coziest evening. 

During dinner, Olivia was eating a roll (a soft one) and she looked over at me because she was crunching really hard on something.  I had no clue what it could be, but I figured it was one of the grains on the top of the bread, so I didn’t give it a second thought until…

30 seconds later she yelled, “THAT WAS MY TOOTH!  I THINK I JUST SWALLOWED MY TOOTH!” 

Y’all, sure enough, she smiled at me, and her left upper lateral incisor was gone.  Just gone.  Y’all.  The crunching we’d heard was her chewing on her own tooth.  OMG.  Hahahaha.  It was just so gross. 

It didn’t seem to bother her, though, and when we got home, she just wrote a note to the Tooth Fairy explaining what happened, and then she put that under her pillow instead of her tooth.  Hopefully, her tooth will make its way out eventually, but I can promise you, I won’t be checking!  Haha.

Happy Tuesday, y’all!



  1. What a week! Good job on the flu shots and making the most of your extra hour!

  2. The adds are much better this week! Thanks for changing it so it doesn’t hide paragraphs.

    1. I'm so glad. Thanks again for letting me know! Hopefully it won't happen again!

  3. One of my boys best friends swallowed his first 3 teeth! It was so funny because he was the pickiest eater too and we all laughed that he refused to eat anything but would happily swallow teeth. I had one of those "Monday" days all last week-- thankfully this week is going so much better so far.

    1. Oh my gosh, I can't believe he swallowed THREE! That is so crazy! And I'm glad your week is going better... it's never good to start the week out on the wrong foot.

  4. that bowl looks amazing! Love the tree! And glad to know I'm not the only one that falls asleep watching movies! HA


Thank you for taking the time to comment... I read and respond to each and every one! However, if you are a no-reply blogger (meaning that your email address is not connected to your Blogger account), I will not be able to reply to you directly via email... you will have to check back on the blog post for a response!